Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows wireless keyboard mouse will not work

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
michaelcngm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Windows wireless keyboard mouse will not work Reply with quote

I built my PC from a Misco kit, and after one or two early hardware problems it now works well. I also bought a Wireless Optical Desktop 1000, which worked on my old PC, but will not work on this PC (XP Home). The Found New Hardware Wizard searches the internet and the CD and then reports that the hardware could not be installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software. Have I got missing basic drivers, and if so, how do I get them back? Do I do a repair install of XP?
Possibly related to this, I have a SIM card reader which connects to the serial port that worked on the old PC, but not this one. I therefore got a USB reader, and lo and behold it's the same as the keyboard & mouse - it won't install.
I tried to get help from Microsoft on their stuff, but no surprise they were totally useless!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get any devices showing problems in Device Manager?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
michaelcngm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've had the hardware plugged in, it shows as 'working correctly' in Device Manager, even though they are effectively dead. If I open up the Intellipoint software, I get told the battery strength is good and the wireless signal is high, even when neither device is connected, so that's a lot of help!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try them in another computer, it sounds like there may be a fault with them.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
michaelcngm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done that! Did it again today on two computers, W98 & XP, and it worked a treat on both. I'd just rather not have to totally reinstall XP, and a repair install sounds a bit of a pain as well. At least I've got a really good back-up to external hard drive!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure why they would not work on this computer. It cold be some sort of incompatibility between the this and the motherboard. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for help?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: