Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows XP Format

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
greenveg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Windows XP Format Reply with quote

Hi.
I want to format and re- install windows xp on my Dell desktop pc. I do not have the original CD. The system at present is xp pro. I am going to purchase a new xp home edition. Can I use this new CD to format / re - install. I would be grateful for any instructions on how to do this.
Regards.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_179256&isLegacy=true

Make sure you have downloaded all the drivers you need before you do this, as once you've installed windows you won't be able to connect to the internet until you've reinstalled the network drivers

On the other hand, rather than do it yourself, you may find that a computer engineer would reload it for you with the correct version of XP for less than the cost of a new disk. The machine will already have a Windows CofA, there is no need to purchase a new copy of Windows

At the risk of being accused of touting for business, you could try one of the groups to which I belong
http://www.pciq.com - we have a national chain of local technicians who could do this for you
equally, there are many other competent PC technicians out there who could also help at reasonable cost
greenveg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Windows XP Format Reply with quote

Hi,
Will the drivers not be installed from the new disc.
Regards.
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Dell site and type in the model/serial number, Dell have a specific 'key' for that but should be on the label. Then you should be able to get the drivers there. I did this for my friends laptop.
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the drivers will not be installed from a standard windows CD

However SL23 is correct: go to the Dell site, follow the path to the downloads page and then input the service tag number from the back of the machine

but do this before you reformat...
greenveg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Windows XP Format Reply with quote

Hi,
I have obtained the Service Tag from Dell. I followed the link in your message. When I go to the Drivers & Downloads page, it shows ten downloads. Some say "recommended", and the otherts say " optional". Do I download them all, or a certain one or more, so that when I re- install, I can assess the internet.
Regards.
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't know the model, or the exact configuration of the machine I can't answer that
However, usually you will need all of them - except sometimes Dell provide alternatives in situations where the machine may have had alternative hardware fits - e.g. different wireless cards or graphics card

But, to be sure download them all
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check your PM's!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: