Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows98se

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Desperado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Windows98se Reply with quote

I have just purchased second hand laptop with Windows 98se installed. It does not have a CD or DVD drive so I bought an external USB one. I cannot get it to work! I have followed the instructions and it won't do t. I downloaded the drivers from here on to another computer and tried installing them. I can't get the new laptop to recognise and read a flash drive or the CD/DVDRW!

I am not sure whether I need to download them directly on the new laptop but this is difficult as I can't remember by password for my wireless network and, as I don't have a CD drive I can't load the software etc needed to hardwire it to the internet!

Would it be easier for me just to connect to the internet via a dial up connection and download the drivers?

I am a bit of a technophobe and don't want to get it wrong and mess up my whole puter!

Any advice or suggestions???
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you need to get the drivers on to the PC to install them. The easiest way would be to download them directly to the PC. I'm not sure why you require a CD to hardwire the PC to the router. All you should need is a cable. Once connected (in most setups) you should automatically get access to the internet.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: