Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless coverage

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
gz00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Wireless coverage Reply with quote

There are some upstairs rooms in my house which are not covered or are poorly covered by wireless. It is a 3 bed detached house 2-storey. The TP-Link modem router is in an outside room on the ground floor and cannot be moved. Walls are generally concrete blocks. I have a Cat 5 cable feeding one of the rooms upstairs currently plugged into an XBOX.

To get better coverage I purchased a wireless extender TL-WA730RE, unfortunately I found this impossible to install & configure even with the help of TP-Link technical support and have returned this to the retailer. I have since purchased a TL-ANT2406A directional antenna but this has brought very little improvement. I am disappointed to say the least. I would have thought that with cable up to the 1st floor I would have been able to plug in a simple switch come wireless repeater into this which would provide wireless reception all over the top floor and is virtually plug and play - what can you recommend or should I be looking at another companies products?
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any joy with wireless extenders. I have NEVER been able to make them work.
Assuming that CAT5 cable is plugged into the modem / router, then unplug the other end from the X-Box and plug it into a wireless router (NOT another modem router). Then configure that as a second wireless network, on a different channel and with different logon credentials so the two don't conflict.
You'll have to compromise on the DNS settings - either fix al teh IP addresses manually, or disable DNS allocation on the new router so the old modem router handles it all. You don't want both allocating IP addresses.
But the key is to set it up so you have TWO wireless networks with different names
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some router/access point combos that can link together properly, Netgear for example do some. The generic ones often don't work too well as JonS mentions.

The solution is to have 2 different wi-fi networks, it means that roaming between access points won't work (ie. if you walk about the house with your wi-fi device from the coverage on one access point to the other), but for most of the time connecting to one or the other wi-fi network isn't a problem.

Your existing setup is fine, you just need to put an access point on the end of the Ethernet cable where your Xbox is. You can buy an wi-fi access point, these normally have single ethernet connection, and the wi-fi antenna, or if you have a spare wi-fi router you can also use this. If you are using the router then connect the ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of these, but this can vary), don't connect anything to the WAN side (or ADSL side if it's an ADSL router). If using a router disable DHCP (to assign IPs, as the main router will do this for you). When setting up the wi-fi on the new access point/router make sure you use a different SSID to the main router, and a channel that is at least 5 different from the channel set on the main router to stop interference. Now configure your laptop etc to be able to access both the wi-fi networks. They should get the IP from the main router's DHCP which will set the gateway to it's gateway and route all internet traffic correctly.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I was trying to say - you did it better!
gz00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jons and softstag

Thanks very much for the advice it all sounds very sensible. I will have a go with your suggestions.
Cheers
gz00
gz00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jons and softstag

I took the opportunity to update the modem/router and used the old one as you described. Everything now works great. Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers
gz00
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: