Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless help again please!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Rodley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Wireless help again please! Reply with quote

Yep.. im back ...!!! lol

OK.. this time i bought a Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router. Now.. ive come to set it up tonight and all the lights etc are on ... it said during installation however that my ISP settings (the user name and password from Pipex) were incorrect.

I double checked them and they are what i was given.... but even thought it said it was incorrect i somehow have an internet light on the modem and am obviously able to connect (thats how im writing this)

But the main problem im finding is the speed. At the moment the Modem/Router is attached with wires to my main PC.. and the laptop has found the connection ok... however.. my internet used to connect at about 2.4 but now it is running at only download speed of 300Kbps (according to the speedchecker website)

I got confused earlier as when i click on the network sharing thing and look at the properties it says the speed is 100Mps.. but im assuming thats the fastest the modem can handle and not what im running at!

Anyone any ideas as to whay it might be so slow? Is this the norm with these modem/routers? if it is i may need my money back cos i cant watch BBCiplayer or anything.

Any advice would be great. Many thanks
Lisa
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, your username and password must be correct if you are able to connect to the internet. I can't imagine your ISP would allow you to connect if you use the wrong login credentials.

You should be able to connect at the same speed (or even better) than when using your Speedtouch modem. We just need to find out why you can't.

I think you are getting a little confused with the connection speeds. Your computer will report in Network Properties the speed at which your computer is connected to the router. If that is 100Mbps then I assume that you are connected via an ethernet cable (not wireless). Your connection to the internet however is going to be significantly less than this. If you are on an ADSL MAX circuit then you will be limited to 8Mbps as an absolute maximum, if you are on an ADSL2+ circuit you will be limited to 24Mbps as an absolute maximum. I suspect you are on ADSL MAX as the Speedtouch 330 doesn't support ADSL2+ (although ADSL2+ circuits should sync with ADSL MAX modems at up to 8Mbps speeds).

There are a few things that could be happening here.

1. All the messing about with the modems and routers could have caused the internet connection to think there is a problem. In such cases they often back down the speeds to try and stabilise the connection. In which case it will automatically increase over time. The best thing to do is leave the router connected and turned on for 72 hours and see if the speeds improve.

2. There could be a bad connection between the router and the phone line. Check the cable, make sure you are using a filter on the router (and any other things connected to the telephone line (telephone, fax machine, Sky box, etc.)). Ideally try different filters, and a different cable to the router. Try the router plugged in to the master BT socket - if it is of the type in 2 sections, remove the bottom section (unscrew it) and behind the faceplate you should find another telephone socket - this is the test socket and disconnects all other internal wiring, try from this socket (always remember to use a filter).

3. There could be an issue with the ISP. Try again with the Speedtouch modem - do you still get slow speeds, or are they better?

I don't think the router is faulty, it connects, so it should work.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Rodley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the reply... the speed thing seems to have solved itself.. however the past few days im losing the internet connection all the time.. its driving me mad!! Also the kids arent happy as it drops them out of the playstation network lol!!!

After a very frustrating phone call to Belkin they took me through setting it all up again and it worked again for a little but then just did the drop-out again. Look slike i need to try and ring Pipex.. although from my previous experiences they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!
Wish me luck!!! & thanks again for the reply.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you will need to speak to Pipex. Best to check what the lights on the router do when it drops out, let Pipex know as this may help them.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Rodley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically all that happens is that the internet button which looks like a world goes out, the others all stay on, the wired, adsl, security & router buttons all stay lit.

will try again tomorrow, theyre really hard to get hold of!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: