Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless on Dell x51v

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jmhall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Wireless on Dell x51v Reply with quote

I have been unsuccessful in getting my Dell x51v to connect to the internet via wireless on my pc.
It keeps asking me for a number to dial.
I would like to start from scratch again - can anyone give me step by step instructions?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you connect to the wireless network?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
jmhall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I am trying to do.

My PC has an ASUS wireless unit connected to the router and from it I can operate broadband etc wirelessly from my laptop.
I would like to be able to do the same from my Dell PPC but cannot work out how to set it up.
I can connect to the internet using the Dell if it is connected to the PC via USB - what I want to be able to do is the same - but via wireless.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I fully understand your setup here. Can you let me know what model of router you have, and the model of the ASUS wireless unit you refer to?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jmhall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info requested:

ROUTER:
Origo ADSL ASR-8400

ASUS Wireless AP WL-330g
802.11g 54Mbps

PC is XP Pro.

What I am eventually trying to set up is the situation whereby I can use the Dell Axim to contact the internet by wireless when not at home and where a suitable hot-spot is available. At present I can do so with the laptop, but the Axim would be a lot handier to carry around.

Is this possible?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, does your Dell x51v have wi-fi capability? Not all do.
jmhall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used on of these, so I can't give step by step instructions. Can you get the device to see the SSID of your wireless network?
jmhall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use START / SETTINGS / CONNECTIONS / NETWORK CARDS /
and select Dell Axim X51 WLAN Wireless Adaptor, the next window has a tick at USE SERVER-ASSISTED IP ADDRESS.
When I then select OK the next window states
"The new setting will be applied the next time the adaptor is used"

However when I try to connect to the internet I always get the message "incorrect settings"

I have tried all possible combinations of the various settings available but always with the same result.

If you have any suggestions I will give it one more go - after that I think I'll give up and just continue to use the laptop.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that your network uses WPA encryption, where the device only supports WEP. This will require reconfiguring the whole network, but may get you working.

Have you tried accessing from a public wireless hotspot?
jmhall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it with a hot-spot yet. Will be away on holiday soon and will give it a go.
Thanks in the meantime for your help
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: