Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xp reinstall problems

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
itsdutts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: xp reinstall problems Reply with quote

hi i have formated my dell laptop and reinstalled xp with service pack 1 and it has four problems showing in device manager i dont think any drivers are loaded i have a disc that says device drivers but i havn't had any luck loading them, the problems shown are Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller. PCI Modem. and Video Controller (vga compatable).
i don't know if this is related but when i try to scroll a page it moves very slowly its an old version of explorer i don't know what version but i don't think that should matter. can any body Advise please?
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what model of Dell laptop? what is the service tag on the label on the back?

what is the driver CD actually called? is it the correct Dell disk for that machine? generally Dell driver CDs autoplay and give you a list of things to install

does it still have the original hard drive in place?

what version of windows did it come with originally. Did you reinstall from the Dell windows CD?
itsdutts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the laptop is an inspiron 5100 service tag c6vytoj
Drivers and utilities cd for reinstalling insperion 1100 and 5100 system software (contents) Device drivers, diagnostics and utilities. online documentaion
as far as i know the hard drive hasn't been changed and i did load the dell reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp home edition including service pack 1
i got the laptop from my friend he gave me 4 disks with it i am confident the discs are for this laptop but they don't auto play
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell website does not recognise that service tab, but the driver download page for that machine is at
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_5100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You're going to hit a few problems here because Dell often used different components in notionally the same model
Video and Audio are easy: you've only got one of each to worry about
However both modem and ethernet are likely to be a problem as both have alternatives
I'd be inclined to forget the modem until you've got it online - Windows Update should find a driver for that automatically. For the ethernet adaptor its probably the the Broadcomm 440x - but if its not you're going to have to try them one at a time. Sorry, but can't advice better: I've been through it several times and hit this problem each time

One last point - do NOT install the chipset drivers off that page. The Intel driver package has older USB drivers than those in XPsp1 and they crash the machine and stop it booting

Your other option is to put that driver CD in the drive, explore it and run the setup program menu manually
itsdutts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jons just rembered two points which may be relevent to this or not, when i formated i couldn't create another partition it said press c to create a partition but nothing happened, so i formated the partition that was already there, i think there might have been a very small partition but it was very small. also when i reinstalled xp it didn't ask me for a product key, if i havn't formated properly could this be causing the laptop to run poorly, many thanks dave
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not possible to "not format it correctly" and then install windows, You either formatted it, or you didn't format it. If the machine is now running badly its because there is either a fault with it, or the lack of drivers are creating an issue. Probably the latter
Actually, something you said makes me think that maybe there is a chance of recovering this machine. Dell laptops have a hidden recovery partition which holds an image of the original software preload. If you left that small partition alone, then theres a good chance we can use that to put the machine back to how it was when you first got it. These are the instructions:

Running Dell PC Restore (on an early XP machine)
1) If you haven't backed up your files yet, do it now.
2) Reboot your computer.
3) Watch for the Dell splash screen to appear. When it does, hold down the "Ctrl" key and then press "F11."
4) The "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" window appears. Choose "Restore."
5) Press "Confirm" to acknowledge that all existing data on your computer will be lost.
6) A progress bar appears. In less than ten minutes, it will go away and you'll see a message that the recovery was successful.
7) Now you can put the files you saved in Section 1, Step 1 back on your computer.

this is taken from
http://www.ehow.com/how_4827792_restore-dell-windows-xp.html
itsdutts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: PCI Reply with quote

hi jons i went back to have another look at thr Drivers cd and managed to istall alot of the drivers i needed and the laptop is running quite well now but i still have no drivers for the PCI Modem i don't know where to look on the cd, i have installed most of the cd but still no joy. many thanks Dave
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
go online and run windows update
Among the optional updates will almost certainly be a driver for that modem.
Microsoft were quite good about creating a range of standard modem drivers for XP that work very well
itsdutts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Sorted jons many thanks Laughing
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: